Thursday 30 October 2008

I don't know what it is...

I don't know what it is about children's books! But I love them, there's something about them that draws me in and makes me want to read some more. As a teacher I have a way of passing on my recommendations and I thought I would do the same here. I hope that you enjoy reading as much as I do and all of these books are available through Amazon or Waterstones.com (I checked!).

So here goes:
Skellig - by David Almond
This really is my all time favourite book. It is about a boy named Michael who has to deal with his emotions, moving house, a poorly little sister and a girl called Mina who doesn't go to school. On top of this, he finds something extraordinary in the garage that turns his life around. This is a pulling of the heartstring book so I would recommend readers of 10+

Journey to the River Sea - by Eva Ibbotson
I love this story, it's sort of a modern day 'Little Princess' tale. Eva Ibbotson is an excellent story teller and I don't want to give away any more except to say read it! And also The Star of Kazan is also a great read, one you will want to read over and over. 9+

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit - by Judith Kerr
A child's story of the war, touching, classic, clever. Well worth the read! 9+

Ballet Shoes - by Noel Streatfield
It doesn't matter that this book is considered by some to be old fashioned. It's still fantastic, full of surprises and the Fossil sisters Pauline, Petrova and Posy remind me of children I know and you will recognise someone in them too. Able readers of 7+

Magyk - by Angie Sage
This I think will become a modern classic. It has all the features of a fairytale - wizards, princesses, an orphan girl, good, evil and a dragon. But it is written in such an inviting and real way and Jenna is such an appealing character that I couldn't wait to find out what happened to her. There will be 7 books in this series but only 4 have been published so far. 10+

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this. My son loves reading and the last one on your list is just the sort of thing he is in to.

Jo Power said...

Ballet Shoes sounds like a must read for me and my daughter who is 8 and loves ballet