Thursday 6 August 2009

Scrap space overhaul

I was helping a friend of mine sort out her scrap space on Monday (it's tiny and she has a LOT of cool stash). So after a few hours of sorting, binning, labelling and re-homeing stash mountain I returned home and took a look at my own space:



And there's nothing wrong with the space (except it really doesn't quite work for me anymore). I find that it's always messy and I can't put my hands on the things I want when I want it. I re-read The Organised and Inspired Scrapbooker by Wendy Smedley and Abi Garvey, if you haven't read it you must get a copy, it's fab!

So I decided to re-think the way I work. The first step was to take everything (and I mean everything) out from drawers, shelves, baskets. And what amazed me was how much space I had:


So I started by sorting all my stash into heaps (it covered the whole of the spare bed and the floor - I didn't realise how much I did have). I found some things I love that I had forgotten about and at the same time got rid of some of the stash and tools I no longer use. Well worth the time factor!
But the bit I thoroughly enjoyed was putting everything back together - I put all my pens in my favourite mugs within easy reach and I took a lot of stash out of my larger AMM tote that is too heavy to lift and put the bits and pieces in smaller jars and into my little AMM tote that is more portable.

Here is the finished result: tidy, organised and all in easy reach when I'm scrapping.






I'm so pleased with the result. Even though I couldn't change the furniture and storage I had, I could change the way it was all arranged and it inspired me to get scrapping!

3 comments:

Julia Dunnit said...

Looking good! Hope you get loads done - I find an overhaul very inspiring - I can talk about it for hours!

Debbie H said...

Wow - looks great. I daren't spread my stuff out or hubby might realise how much stuff I have! Shhhhh!

Carmen said...

Wow it looks like 3 completely different desks. Well done you and what a fabulous crafting station you have there.