Friday 26 August 2011

mini album - living with Coeliac Disease












Being a Coeliac is a big part of my life, it's the kind of thing you always have to be aware of. People often ask me about it - and I don't mind, but I thought that documenting my thoughts was a good record of a big part of me. This mini book was from Boots and holds 2.5 x 3" pages or photos. Here are the results:






The journalling reads:

This is me. I have Coeliac Disease. I am severely intolerant to wheat, gluten, rye, barley and oats. This means that today and everyday I have to follow a strict gluten free diet, avoiding all foods containiing these things, and also any food that could have been contaminated on a production line. This is harder than it looks. It's a daily battle. My biggest problem is cross-contamination. I'm one of the unlucky ones; for me the slightest bit of wheat/ gluten that gets into/ touches my food makes me ill - and quickly. I have to make sure no spoons/ knoves are used for normal and G/F foods, and I try not to show it but it's a huge worry! Warning signs: fatigue, pale/washed out, bloated tummy, severe cramp, introverted, upset. It helps to have understanding friends, to get G/F food on prescription, to do a lot of my own baking. The future: I'll always be Coeliac, hopefully new products will be out, with a greater understanding.


No comments: