Saturday 7 February 2009

Ways to combat scrappers block!

If you're anything like me, from time to time you just lose inspiration and can't quite make your LO work for you. It's so frustrating as often you know what you want to do but can't quite get there or you look at the photos you really want to scrap but can't seem to find any papers that match them. Annoying or what!

So I thought I'd post some of the techniques I use to combat this scrappers block!

1. Scraplift a layout
I tend to add LOs to my favourite's gallery on UKS and go back to these when I get block.

2. Inspiration book
I get a scrapping mag each month (SI) and after I've read it, go through and cut out any articles, sketches or LOs that I like and stick them in a book. Look back through this for ideas, I haven't yet not found this helpful!

3. Complete a challenge
If you have ever been to a retreat/ crop I'm sure you will have come up against challenges. When I feel as though I can't make something work I will turn to these. Here are a few challenges below to get you started:
a. complete a layout from start to finish in under an hour (harder than it sounds)
b. make a layout in monochrome
c. use song words as a title
d. include 100 words or more on your layout
e. scrap using only 2 sheets of paper and a pen
f. use an old piece of clothing somewhere on your layout
(thanks to the SA girls for some of these ideas)
If anyone has any challenges they have enjoyed doing, I would love to hear them!

4. Inspirations jar
Keep a challenge jar - get a (clean) old jam jar/similar and decorate. Inside put slips of paper with ideas you collect or challenges you would like to try then when you are stuck, pull out a challenge and do it! This always creates some interesting results.

5. Old albums
Look back through your old albums, even old stash, it's amazing because I always find something I had forgotten about or see an old technique I want to re-use. I could also recommend looking though other people's albums if you can get your hands on them.

6. Blog hop!
How could I leave this one off? If you need inspiration, look on the many scrapping blogs out there, there's always loads to inspire and get you over that scrappers block hurdle.

3 comments:

Hana said...

Brill ideas :)

Julia Dunnit said...

Great list. Am hopeless at the discipline of taking the first challenge that comes out of the jar!!!

Sue Jones said...

Blog hopping is my fav way..though i spend far too much time on it LOL!!